Anxiety is a very common amongst people nowadays, but very few of them receive any kind of remedy for it. The most common anxiety disorders include:
- Generalized anxiety
- Panic disorder
- Social anxiety disorder
- Separation anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive disorder
Doctors usually prescribe medications for these disorders. Very few of them use these medications as they will surely have undesirable side effects. Recently, cannabis was referred to as a potential treatment for anxiety disorder. We all are aware that CBD can do wonders in such situations, and its usage has increased a lot. You can now buy CBD gummies all kinds of CBD products on well-trusted sites like the Just CBD store. On the other hand, terpenes can also do a great job for these anxiety treatments. Here’s how?
What are terpenes?
Terpenes are the aromatic compounds found in the plant which gives them a characteristic scent. Cannabis is said to be having a higher concentration of terpenes. According to scientists, many plants contain terpenes to keep the herbivores away from them.
According to a study done by Ethan Russo, he said that terpenes and cannabinoids can work together to modulate and boost each other’s effects on the endocannabinoid system (ECS). This is called the entourage effect where all the compounds found in the cannabis plant, work together better than being alone.
Terpenes for Anxiety:
There are hundreds of terpenes in the marijuana plant, and hence it is difficult to find which one can be specifically used for anxiety or any other medical condition. Many of the essential oils have been used as holistic medicine, but the reality is that terpenes are a part of about 80% of these oils.
Here is the list of terpenes that have the potential for treating anxiety:
- Myrcene: Called beta-myrcene is the most abundant terpene in the cannabis plant. It is said to be a sedative and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Limonene: It is common in citrus fruits, in the form of orange or lemon scent. it helps relieve anxiety and depression, fight bacterial infections, and help clear ulcers.
- Beta-Caryophyllene: It has a black pepper scent as well as plays as a CB2 receptor agonist. A study showed that this terpene has reduced the anxiety level in mice that were forced to go through the mace.
- Linalool: It has a floral scent. It is a compound found in plants like jasmine, lavender, and basil. A study has found that it has reduces violent behavior in mice.
- Alpha-pinene: It is found in pine trees and other coniferous plants. It helps to reduce inflammation, helps to kill bacteria, reduces anxiety, and increases cognitive function.
How to use terpenes?
Apart from smoking, there are other ways to get maximum benefits of terpenes:
- Sublingually by using oils
- Vape liquids
- Using Edibles.
Vaping is one of the popular ones. This is because, terpenes have the tendency to get damaged at the temperature above 300 degrees Fahrenheit, and vaping can give you the option to regulate the temperature. In this way, all the terpenes will survive.
Also, most people do not want to experience any side effects. In such cases, there is a large number of CBD products available in the market, which has more terpenes in them than THC.